Hiring software developers who have the necessary technical skills and knowledge is crucial to the success of any software development project. However, it is equally important to consider diversity when hiring. Diversity recruiting is the process of hiring candidates from diverse backgrounds, including but not limited to ethnicity, race, gender, age, religion, and sexual orientation. A diversity recruiting strategy is important because it ensures that the organization has a team of people with different perspectives, experiences, and skill sets. This can result in a more innovative, productive, and collaborative team, leading to better business outcomes.
What is Diversity Recruiting?
Diversity recruiting focuses on actively seeking and attracting candidates from underrepresented groups to ensure a more inclusive workforce. It involves implementing strategies and practices that promote diversity and remove barriers to entry for individuals from diverse backgrounds. By embracing diversity recruiting, organizations strive to create a culture of inclusion and equal opportunity.
Related Read: 2023 Hiring Trends: How Your Business Can Keep Up
Why is Diversity Recruiting Important?
Diversity recruiting is relevant in today’s society where underrepresented groups are seeking more and more representation in various areas. Aside from this, diversity recruiting offers plenty of benefits:
- Enhanced Innovation and Problem-Solving Diverse teams bring a variety of perspectives and experiences to the table, fostering creativity and innovation. According to a study by McKinsey & Company, companies with more diverse executive teams outperform their less diverse peers by 25% in terms of profitability.
- Increased Productivity and Performance: A diverse workforce promotes healthy competition, collaboration, and a wide range of skills. Research by Boston Consulting Group (BCG) indicates that companies with more diverse management teams have 19% higher revenue due to innovation.
- Expanded Customer Base: Diversity in the workplace allows for better understanding and connection with a diverse customer base. Companies that reflect the diversity of their customers can build stronger relationships, gain market insights, and tailor their products and services accordingly.
- Attracting Top Talent: Creating an inclusive and diverse work environment is an attractive factor for job seekers, especially among millennials and Gen Z. A survey conducted by Deloitte found that 69% of millennials consider a diverse workforce an important factor when choosing an employer.
How to Increase Diversity When Hiring Software Developers
Here are several diversity recruiting strategies that software developer recruiters can apply to increase diversity when hiring software developers:
- Broaden Your Reach: One of the most effective ways to increase diversity when hiring is to broaden your reach. This can be achieved by posting job openings on job boards that specifically cater to underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, and the LGBTQ+ community. You can also consider partnering with diversity-focused organizations, such as Black Girls Code or Women Who Code, to increase the visibility of your job openings among underrepresented groups.
- Be Mindful of Your Job Descriptions: Job descriptions play a crucial role in attracting a diverse pool of candidates. Make sure your job descriptions are free of any gender or race biases, and use language that is inclusive and welcoming to candidates from diverse backgrounds. For example, instead of using terms like “rockstar developer,” use terms like “collaborative team player.” You can also include information about your company’s commitment to diversity and inclusion in your job descriptions.
- Implement Blind Hiring Practices: Blind hiring practices involve removing any information from resumes that could reveal a candidate’s gender, race, or other personal information that could lead to bias. This allows hiring managers to evaluate candidates based solely on their skills and qualifications. This can be achieved by using software that removes personal information from resumes or by conducting initial interviews over the phone or through video conferencing.
- Provide Training and Resources for Hiring Managers: Hiring managers should receive training and resources on how to recognize and avoid biases during the hiring process. This can include training on unconscious bias, as well as tools to help reduce bias, such as structured interview questions and scorecards. This can help ensure that all candidates are evaluated fairly and objectively.
- Consider Outsourcing: Outsourcing is another effective way to increase diversity when hiring software developers. Outsourcing companies like CoDev have access to a diverse pool of talent from around the world, allowing you to hire software developers from diverse backgrounds. This can also be a cost-effective solution for small and medium-sized businesses that may not have the resources to hire full-time employees.
Increasing diversity when hiring software developers is not only the right thing to do, but it can also have a positive impact on your business. By implementing diversity recruiting strategies, you can create a more diverse and inclusive team, leading to better business outcomes.
If you’re looking to hire software developers, consider partnering with CoDev to access a diverse pool of talent from around the world. Schedule a discovery call with our friendly representatives today to get started.